Bordeaux Wine Shop

As a retailer of wine,

We require our shoppers to be at least 21 years of age or older

Were you born before

Sep 22, 2002

You must be of legal drinking age to enter and use this site. Thank You

Bordeaux Wine Shop Chateau Pape Clement

2006 Château Pape Clement, Pessac-Leognan "Grand Cru Classé"

Regular price
Sold out
Sale price
Quantity must be 1 or more

Chateau Pape Clement has a long and interesting history in Bordeaux. The first recorded grape harvest took place in 1252! As you might have guessed, the chateau is named after the properties’ most famous owner, who was a Pope! In 1305 the Cardinal’s elected Bertrand de Goth the Pope. He was renamed Clement V, which is where the Bordeaux property took its historic name.  The Pope, Clement V, was widely known for his interest in wine. Due to his strong interest in wine, Clement V received a Pessac Leognan estate as a gift. The gift included the vineyard de la Mothe. Clement V developed an interest in the production of Bordeaux wine.

bordeaux wine shop chateau pape clement

Jumping ahead to the next chapter, which marks the modern age of the estate, Chateau Pape Clement was sold in 1939 to Paul Montagne. With time, Montagne’s heirs renovated the estate and brought the property back to the previous level of high quality Chateau Pape Clement was known for.  However, it was not easy in those days because of mother nature. Due to a massive hail storm during the 1950’s, which destroyed the vast majority of their vines, Paul Montagne was forced to replant most of his vineyard before passing the estate on to his children. His descendants included Leo Montagne and later Bernard Magrez. In 1975, Chateau Pape Clement was owned by 2 families. The wife of Bernard Magrez owned 20% of the property, and the Bobeau owned the remaining 80%.

The Pessac Leognan 32.5 hectare vineyard of Chateau Pape Clement has 30 hectares planted to 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot for the red wine. 2.5 hectares of vines are used for the production white Bordeaux wine at Chateau Pape Clement. Those vines are planted to 45% Sauvignon Blanc, 45% Semillon, 5% Sauvignon Gris and 5% Muscadelle.


Tasting Notes:

2006 Château Pape Clement Rouge
94 Points – “The Wine Advocate” Neal Martin (May 2016)

 “Tasted at Bordeaux Index’s annual 10-Year On tasting in London.  The 2006 Château Pape Clèment has an intense bouquet that is very well defined, adorned with cassis, blueberry and subtle iodine scents that all gain momentum in the glass.  The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, very well-judged acidity, the new oak neatly enmeshed and blessed with a precise, harmonious finish that lingers.  This is a wonderful Pape Clèment that will give much pleasure over the next 20 or 30 years.  Tasted January 2016.”